Debate For Daugherdania
The year is 1815; the place is Daugherdania, a country in Europe. The first meeting of the Daugherdanian National Assembly is about to be called to order. The National Assembly is split between three groups—one for conservatism, another for liberalism, and a third for nationalism. All three groups are about equal in strength and in any vote taken by the Assembly each group has one vote.
The Assembly debates will center on which group best represents Daugherdania.
· First, each group is to meet to outline its political movement by listing its goals, attitude toward change, political ideas, economic ideas, and/or whether to revolt or not (pp. 528-529).
· Second, one party leader should be elected to represent your respective group during the debate while being supported by each member of your respective party.
· Third, each group must keep in mind the rules of debate and not violate faulty reasoning points (p. 524) or face censure by the Speaker of the Assembly (the wise Herr Doktor Vater Schmidt, otherwise known as Dr. Smith).
The Assembly has several pressing issues to consider quickly in these chaotic days.
1) Who will rule the country?
Should the Assembly invite the son of the deposed King to rule Daugherdania?
Should the Assembly elect the reformer?
Adam Ricardo Mill
Should the Assembly ask the patriot Daugherty to lead the new nation?
Daugherty the Brave
2) What ideology should be in the new Constitution?
Rights reserved for only the aristocracy
Peace and order based on the King
Freedom of the press, speech, religion, and to assemble and to revolt if necessary
A popularly elected president, no monarchy, no established church
Liberty, equality, property (natural rights)
Universal manhood suffrage
Common heritage, sense of identity, our own homeland
Intolerance, persecute non- Daugherdanian minorities